Standing on the bank of lake Pichola, are massive series of palaces built at different time commencing from 1559 A.D. The balconies of the palace provide panoramic view of "Jag Niwas" (Now world wide famous Lake palace hotel), Jag Mandir on one side and on the other the city of Udaipur.
It's main entrance is through the triple-arched gate-The tripolia, built in 1725. The way now leads to a series of courtyards, overlapping parations, terraces, corridors and gardens - a harmonic profusion hard to describe.There is a Suraj Gokhda, where the Maharanas of Mewar presented themselves in the times of trouble to the people to restore confidence. The Mor-Chowk (Peacock Courtyard), get its name from the vivid mosaics in glass decorate its walls. The Chini Chitrashala is noteworthy while a series of wall paintings of Krishna are on display in Bhim Vilas.
There are numerous other palaces Dilkhush Mahal, Sheesh Mahal, Moti Mahal and Krishna Vilas- in memory of princess of striking beauty who poisoned herself to avert bloody battle for her hand by rival princess.
Now the palace is housed with many antique articles, paintings, decorative furniture and utensils which attracts thousands of visitors every day.
While entering the City palace the straight way go to the Government Pratap Museum housed with old sculptures and inscriptions. The antique paintings of Mewar, the turban of prince Khurram later on called Shahajahan, who built world fame Taj Mahal has also been displayed here as a token of friendship of Maharana Khazan Singh.
Jagdishji, is a major monument and should be seen carefully. Raised on a tall terrace and completed in 1651, it is a tribute alike to the tenacity of its builders and the resilence of the art - tradition it represents.
It attaches a double storeyed Mandapa (hall) to a double - storied, Saandhara (that having a covered ambulatory) sanctum. The mandapa has another storey tucked within its pyramidal Samavarna (bell - roof) while the hollow clustered spire over the sanctum contains two more, non - functional stories.
Lannes taking off from many of the Sheharpanah (city wall) converge on the Jagdish Temple and walking leisurely through them brings you face with the many layers of the cultural palimpsest that Udaipur is.
It was built by Maharana Jagat Singh Ist in 1651 A.D. It is a good example of Indo - Aryan architecture.
A beautiful laid out "Rock Garden" from where one can enjoy sunset view in Lake Pichhola and panoramic view of old city.
Musical Fountain is an another attraction for the visitors.
A spectacular rose Garden laid out by Maharana Sajjan Singh, is situated near the palace on east side of Lake Pichhola. A library in the garden has a rare collection of ancient handwritten manuscripts and books.
Within the garden, there is a zoo with tigers, leopards, chinkara and many wild animals and birds are being kept.
Moti Magri or Pearl Hill: Atop the Moti Magri or Pearl Hill, overlooking the Fateh Sagar Lake is the memorial of the Rajput hero Maharana Pratap with a bronze statue of the Maharana astride his favourite horse "Chetak".
A beautiful lake, overlooked by a number of hills on the three sides and the Pratap Memorial on the north was built by Maharana Fateh Singh. In the middle of the lake is Nehru Park - a lovely garden island with a boat shaped cafe accessible by an enjoyable boat ride.